Thursday 10 October 2013

Dapper Dan And Vellum!!

Hello everyone!

Louise here today to share with you the new Dapper Dan collection from the wonderful Glitz Designs. When I received my DT pack from Sarah, it struck me that this is a very masculine collection full of bold colours and patterns - perfect for my boys. I pulled together some stamps, embellishments and vellum that I thought would work well with it.

Recently I've joined Instagram and I love collecting everyday photos. I knew that some of photos I'd Instagramed would work perfectly with Dapper Dan. I used my home printer to print the photos I'm sharing today, complete with the instagram effects.

Vellum seems to be coming back into crafting lately so I also want to show you a few ways to incorporate vellum into your scrapbooking.

1. Using vellum to layer and soften

I wanted lots of layers for this photo. It was the start of the rugby season at the beginning of September. Kitted out in his new boots, I wanted to record how long my little man has been playing.

I've used six different patterns from the Dapper Dan pad (some were small pieces of pattern rather than whole 6x6 sheets) with two layers of vellum to soften some of the bold colours and patterns. With one sheet of vellum I punched circles into it to allow the strong colour and pattern to show through.













I used stamps to fill in the background gaps. I love this technique, it gives me a chance too, to hook out stamps that I don't use often....or have forgotten I have.

The little woodgrain tiny alphas were perfect for adding the year.

Using all of these layers allowed me to hide my journalling underneath.




2. Using vellum to embellish.

Having to wear a shirt and tie is all part of starting secondary school. The day before my gorgeous man started school he realised he didn't know how to tie a tie, so a quick demonstration with dad and he had it down to a fine art.  Another moment I captured on my phone and instagramed.

The Dapper Dan collection is predominately blue, green and browns. Again I used many patterns on this layout, using shapes cut from scraps.

With this layout I used vellum between the layers of patterned paper and on its own to create an embellished section.

Using a border punch on the edges adds an extra embellished detail.



I journalled onto a tag made from the Dapper Dan patterned paper and tucked it under the layers and photo.



I have another layout and a couple of cards to show you so I hope you'll come back to see that in a day or two!

Have you used vellum lately or does this post make you want to try adding it to a layout?

Louise x

You can see more of Louise's crafting at Boys, Bugs and Beautiful Buttons where she regularly blogs about scrapbooking, card making and life with her boys!!

Supplies used:

Dapper Dan 6 x 6 pad

 




     




9 comments :

scrappyjacky said...

I love all the layers you've used....and what a great use of vellum.

ForgedinPaper said...

These are great. I love the vellum ideas. I frequently have it in a kit but struggle to use.

Missus Wookie said...

Lovely pages. I like using stamps for filling in gaps too. I like the vellum and used to use it a lot. Hmm wonder if I have any left in my stash...

Sian said...

Makes me want to give this combination a go Louise. Lovely!

Carin McDonough said...

Two gorgeous layouts, I love the layered look with the hidden journalling and the use of the vellum. I haven't used vellum in years but really want to get it out now!

Unknown said...

Wonderful layouts. x

alexa said...

Such lovely pages and I especially like the idea of using vellum to soften a paper - punching holes for more vibrancy is just genius! Yes, it really does make me want to hoick out my very old vellum collection.

Jimjams said...

I love all the layering - and am inspired by the vellum punching to add extra interest - genius!

Frances said...

Wow, beautiful Lo's and thanks for sharing all of your vellum ideas. Thinking of using some soon!