Monday 30 September 2013

Chalk Studio Part One - Mix It up!

Hello! It's Jennifer here, with some projects using the My Mind's Eye Chalk Studio collection. The Chipboard Elements, Decorative Frames, and Label Stickers are all available in the shop right now, and I'm going to show you how to mix them up with various papers and embellishments!

First up is a layout made by adding Chalk Studio to some other My Mind's Eye supplies - I've paired them with papers and elements from the Cut & Paste - Charm collection, and the Find Your Wings and Fly - Sky's The Limit collection...

Muddy Puddles:


The chalkboard items add a classic feel to this gallery style page. The small photos I wanted to use could have got lost on a 12x12 page, but the bold style of the frames really helps them stand out. I added bunting from the Chipboard Elements on top of one frame to give it extra depth. The journaling (using a white gel pen) stands out really well too!

The right hand photo frame is adhered to the layout with Foam Dots to make it a focal point, which is also helped by the 'Adventure This Way' arrow from the Carefree Label Sticker Sheet pointing down at the picture:


I also loved using the Chipboard Elements along the edges of the page (you'll spot this on the next layout too), as it defines the edges and brings the page together. If the black items were just in the middle of the page then it would have a heavy centre, so spreading them out like this means you look around the whole page:


I also added lots of Mist splatters and Enamel Dots & Gems to look like raindrops all over the background!

The next page uses a greater mix of products - I used items from Basic Grey Mint Julep, Crate Paper The Pier, and Glitz Designs Wild & Free collections...

So Content:



I've been holding on to this picture for ages - I hadn't scrapped it yet because you can't see my children's faces. But you can see my face, and every time I look at this photo I'm reminded how happy it makes me to have people to play in the sea with - my husband does not like the sea so I've been waiting for my kids to be big enough to join me!

I pulled together an eclectic variety of papers and patterns. They all work together because of the pink and yellow tones, and because the chalkboard scattered around the page helps to unite them.

I added some colours to the top of a couple of pieces using Stickles and Liquid Pearls on one, and Gems on another - don't forget you can alter the chalkboard pieces to fit the theme of your project:


Some of the Chalkboard pieces come with words or a sentiment on them, so if you don't like doing too much journaling then they are perfect for sharing your emotions on the layout. Try layering one on top of another embellishment, like I did with the 'Happy Day' piece here:


I love how the chalkboard elements have helped me to bring an imperfect photo to life!

What do you think about the chalkboard trend? I'm totally loving it, and I'll be back with more Chalk Studio inspiration on a second post soon!

Bye for now, Jennifer x

You can see more of Jennifer's papercrafting at her blog Jennifer Grace Creates!

4 comments :

Karen leonard said...

Really love the chalk board effects, and some super ideas x

scrappyjacky said...

Love how it works with framing the photos.

Lou said...

Gorgeous Jennifer x

akilli melek said...

love these pages jennifer
caroline x