Wednesday 9 January 2013

Studio Calico Burst Mask - Part 2


Hello! Jennifer here, and I'm back with some more Studio Calico Burst Mask Projects!

If you missed the first part, you can find that here.

 For this next project, I decided to try something other than misting. I played with some stamping through the mask instead!

Step 1: Take a 4.5" square piece of white cardstock, and position your burst mask on top. My mask still has ink on it from where I had been trying different stamps out earlier!



Step 2: Stamp all over the mask with a rubber stamp, using a few different colours of ink pad. I used blue, yellow, and pink. The rubber stamp needs to be one with a deep design - the flatter ones won't press down enough between the mask's gaps.




Here's the card with the mask removed.


Step 3: To finish the card off, sew some straight lines in the gaps between the stamped bursts. Add a brad in the centre. Then ink the edges of the white cardstock with pink ink, and mat it onto a piece of 5" square blue cardstock. Mount it onto a 5.5" white square card.


I'll keep this card on standby to send to someone who needs cheering up with a burst of colour!


Next, I wanted to try something a bit different so I used the burst mask to make my own unique t-shirt.


It was great fun and I love the final effect! I'm going to show you how it's done - but first of all I must point out that you can't use regular scrapbooking mists on a t-shirt that you'll want to wash. They'd wash right out! You need to get some fabric spray paint and follow manufacturers instructions for drying / setting the paint.


Step 1: Protect your work surface (and it's a good idea to wear your old clothes!!) and put newspaper or similar inside your t-shirt so the paint doesn't bleed through. Then place your mask on the t shirt where you want it to go.



Step 2: Spray all over your mask going over the edges a little, with yellow fabric spray paint.



Step 3: Spray the centre of your mask with orange fabric spray paint.



Step 4: Take the lid off your orange fabric spray paint and tap it above the t-shirt so you get little drops all over it.



Step 5: Take the mask off. Just after this photo I also sprayed a couple of times with the yellow fabric spray paint, from high above, so the t-shirt wasn't quite so stark white where the mask had been.


Step 6: Leave the t-shirt to dry, or follow the fabric paint instructions for how to dry / set the paint. Sew on a few scattered orange and yellow buttons, and your new t shirt is ready to wear! 

My Mum kindly modelled it for me!!



Thanks so much for reading my Studio Calico Burst Mask projects - let us know what you think about them and whether they've inspired you to make something! 

Jennifer X

See more of Jennifer's crafting at Jennifer's Jumbles

3 comments :

Jo said...

Two really great projects, the cards is stunning.

Lou said...

the card is amazing - a ray of sunshine! It's brilliant to see how you used the mask on the t-shirt too x

MiniOwner said...

Sarah that's so clever! I've pinned it for when I have more time for a play. :o)
See you soon.
Sue x