Sunday 23 September 2012

12 x 12 Collection Kits - By Louise

Hello there, it's Louise here today.
I hope your weekend has been wonderful!

Remember Lisa-Jane's fabulous series of projects using 6 x 6 pads?

Well, this week I'm going to share with you my love of 12x12 collection kits. 
Like the 6 x 6 series there will be posts throughout the week, each with a new layout! I hope you'll join me!


Many, many moons ago when I started scrapbooking 12x12 papers didn't exist, at least not here in the UK.  Papers and Cardstock were 8x10 and very limited. Luckily for us scrapbooking has expanded and there is now a wealth of supplies on offer from single sheets of 12x12 to paper pads to 12x12 kits. I've never subscribed to a regular kit from a company and I often wondered if I was missing out. Then earlier this year I discovered Echo Park's  12x12 Collection Kits and now I use these all the time. They quickly became the staple supply in my stash. I love them!!

I've used a few of these kits for lots of different projects like this mini book using the This and That Charming range and Interactive Layouts using the Note to Self Range. 

This week I'm going to show you just how far one of these kits will go and how you can make different layouts using just one kit!

In most of the Echo Park kits you get:
12 double sided patterned 12" x 12" papers. Amongst the patterns is a journaling and border sheet.
1 sticker sheet - the sheet is 12" x 12" and crammed with loads of stickers.
1 alphabet sheet - again the sheet is 12" x 12" and usually has 
a large alpha and number set and two smaller alpha sets.


 Echo Park ~ For the Record 2 ~ Documented Collection Kit *New*

Using this For the Record 2 Documented kit I have taken it's name quite literally.
 I planned to create five layouts where the story was the main focus.

 I tried to use the kit and the kit only. I tried really hard .... but I have used my sewing machine on each layout and I did add the odd little item here and there. 
Throughout the week, after each layout I've listed any extras that weren't in the kit. 

So, you ready? .... let's look at the first layout ....


I don't just like pigs...I love them

Each layout started out with a story and in this one you can see that I included the journaling on the layout before anything else was added.

For those of you that don't know me I have three boys, earlier this year I asked them to write down some things about themselves. S took himself off away from the other two and wrote down some of the funnest things. Obviously they had to be recorded in a layout.



I worked out where the photo would go and journalled in the space around it.
Then added my papers, embellishments, photo, title and stitching.

  
 I love how he spelt "finc" (think) and "bootafall" (beautiful)! 


 The photo was layered onto an envelope so that his original writing could be kept safe inside.

What did I use that wasn't in the kit? ... only a circle stamp and the 2012 number stickers!!

I hope you'll pop back for my second layout tomorrow!

10 comments :

alexa said...

What a great page! I especially like the way you've kept his original, and the numbered journalling around the photo kept my eye on the move.Looking forward to more. :)

Carin McDonough said...

Gorgeous page Louise, love all the journaling and that you included the original journaling, too cute! :)

Julia said...

Louise this is gorgeous - the journalling brought a tear to my eye!
Love the colours and the circles on this page too. Would love to meet Stanley - he sounds a cool kid!

Lisa-Jane said...

Great colours and movement in this layout Louise!

Unknown said...

Louise, this LO is fantastic. You layered everything so well with having the journaling already on there. Impressive. And what a sweet boy too.

Sian said...

Beautiful. Just the kind of story that deserves a page of its own and a very fine start to what promises to be a fantastic series Louise!

Clare said...

Great page - really like the different blocks of journalling around the page surrounding the photo. Look forward to seeing more over the week!

Jimjams said...

Cute cute cute - love this idea - wish I'd done it with my kids when they were small ... might just try it with my 3 and at 22, 20 & 16 I can *hope* that the spelling will be better :o)

Nathalie said...

I LOVE it Louise!!! I LOVE the tab in front of each journaling lines, love the colors, love the stitching, the design!!! Fantastic page!

Jennifer Grace said...

Gorgeous page, I love the hidden place for the original notes, and the stamped circles over the journaling! x